Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:01:55 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        James Smallacombe <james@pil.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copying binaries to new server

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:37:29 -0400 (EDT)
James Smallacombe <james@pil.net> wrote:

> Is there any reason I shouldn't just copy all of /usr and /var from the old
> server, or do I really need to compile everything anew and sort out any
> simlinks to other file systems?

why not use packages? from the already installed ones .

I was agreeing with the dump/restore option, but doing it on top of a running
system is possibly not the best idea...specially if you are going to be
overwriting /etc and /usr/local/etc/...

If you *didnt* have a running system on your new box, then definitely,
dump/restore is great. Alternatively, you can get clever with dumping/restoring
to alternative partitions and then adapt /etc/fstab in the new box to use the
new files...

the issue with libarchive + tar is, maybe, that is heavily used by tar itself?

good luck

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to
reform." Mark Twain

Warned.