Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:30:10 GMT
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/145306: [acpi]: Can't change brightness on HP ProBook 4510s

The following reply was made to PR kern/145306; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To: David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 19:20:01 +0200

 Short summary for PR/145306:

 I asked the David to turn on ACPI debugging. There are some notification
 (so we know we got debugging output properly) but none of them are
 related to brightness keys.

 David DEMELIER wrote:
 >>> I added them and I got a big output in dmesg but still no message when pressing fn-keys.
 > No message at all, like I didn't do anything

 Then no good news. I can't help you. Your BIOS doesn't create the
 notification required by ACPI specification section B.7

 Your's acpidump show that the notification may be sent, but we know the
 prerequisites that's need to be fulfilled. It may be a initialisation of
 something or so.

 If you have older than lates version of system BIOS (e.g. F.12 revision)
 the upgrade may help:
 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3934829&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3934828&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4056#120

 May be someone smarter may help better to you. You should save output of:
 1. acpidump -dt
 2. devinfo -vr
 3. dmesg after boot with ACPI debugging turned on

 somewhere then send URL to the PR so anyone can read it.

 I'm sorry I have no better response to you ...

 					Dan