Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:51:46 -0400
From:      David Krinsky <krinsky@bantha.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate STT8000A (ATAPI/IDE) on FreeBSD? (fwd)

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 11:23:32PM -0600, Warner Losh (imp@village.org) wrote:
> In message <19990903233326.A346@bantha.org> David Krinsky writes:
> : Any ideas?  I'm quite happy to help debug this one, if you have any
> : thoughts on where to go with it--I need to get backups working, and
> : I'd much rather not have to buy a new tape drive or switch OSes...
>
> reboot.  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/tape count=1000 bs=24k.
>
> Then see if you still have the problem.  I've seen errors like the
> ones you reported, but this fixed it for me.

Yep.

Or rather, the dd itself triggers the error.

> Also, make sure that your drive is good.  I had one I had to return
> because it was bad.  Soren said the driver worked, and I could never
> get it working for me.  The replacement worked like a charm.

Well, it's brand-new, and I didn't get it at a garage sale.  :-)
We know it's got a write head;  I've succeeded at doing
backups and restores of small directory hierarchies, so I kind of
doubt it's the drive...

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  dd is the magic bullet in so many
situations, it's always worth a shot.  :-)

Dave.