Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 05:53:15 GMT
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@chariot.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPPoE on 3.4

Hello,

I have been trying to set up PPPoE on a 3.4 system for a
couple of hours, and I've really hit a brick wall.

> uname -sr
FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE

I followed the handbook instructions very closely -- I used
the exact ppp.conf from that page, and I've since tried a
few variations I've found after searching around the web
for PPPoE on FreeBSD.  I won't reprint the exact ppp.conf's
I've used here, as I don't think it would be helpful -- ppp.log
shows the failure in pretty much the same place regardless of
the differences in ppp.conf.

ppp.log:  [I'm having to transcribe this by hand -- my
           ethernet is dead while I get ADSL set up... :-)]

... tun0: Phase: PPP Started (background mode).
... tun0: Phase: bundle: Establish
... tun0: Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
... tun0: Phase: deflink: Connected!
... tun0: Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
... tun0: Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
... tun0: Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
... tun0: Phase: deflink: carrier -> hangup
... tun0: Phase: deflink: [some connection stats]
... tun0: Phase: deflink: hangup -> opening

and so on.

It is not clear to me how far into the negotiation it is
getting -- so I'm not even sure what the problem is that I'm
trying to solve.

Can anyone help me towards identifying the problem?  I can
post ppp.conf and the actual log transcripts if that would
be helpful.  I can also run it a few more times with higher
logging levels if someone could suggest what options would
provide helpful info with 'set log'.

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@chariot.net.au