Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:45:16 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        eol1@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 Tor issues (Once More, with Feeling)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Peter Thoenen wrote:

> --- Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> wrote:
>> There was a "request" for Tor related problem reports
>> a while ago, I couldn't find the message again, but I
>> believe it was posted here.
>
>> Is anyone on this list running a Tor node on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE
>> or later with similar or higher load?
>
> I am hitting the same issue still Fabian.  I had that PR closed as "works
> for me" with insignificant testing.  I am still crashing (as before) but
> maybe only once every week or two instead of every couple hours with 6.1
> RELEASE.  The PR really should be reopened.  Couple other folk have emailed
> me with similiar issues offline (and also spoke with it about me on IRC).

In the future, it would be helpful if you replied to the PR saying so.  It
looks like it was closed at your request as you stated the problem had gone
away, so I've been working under the assumption that the problem has gone
away, as that's the last information I have.

> I am still 99% sure this is NOT A TOR ISSUE!!!  I have spoken with many tor
> users on other platforms and the actual developers and this is not seen by
> any of them.  I can also recreate this crash NOT running tor but just
> generating a heavy load with freenet and i2p.  My gut feeling is still a
> network code regression between 5.x -> 6.x with the stack rewrite. I am at a
> loss how to troubleshoot this anymore (as noted in the PR and my earlier
> email).  I truly hope somebody (e.g. a developer) can shed some light on
> this issue or troubleshoot it.

I have appealed a number of times on the freebsd-security mailing list and
eslewhere for information from people who could reproduce the problem.  In
general the replies I got were that people either had the problem go away with
recent 6.x, or that they did not have time or were not interested in helping
debug the problem.  If you are interested, please take a look at my recent
reply to the reported problem, and work through the steps there.  I strongly
recommend using a serial console on the box.  I can only debug a problem if I
know it exists, and with enough information, and so far, there's been
insufficient information to track down the problem.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge