Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:01:42 -0700
From:      Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        Augusto Bott <augusto.bott@zipmail.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS, tcp ports, file systems...

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 04:33:18PM -0300, Augusto Bott wrote:
> 2 - I'm tweaking a portscanner, what's the highest port number
> which a daemon/program/computer cas listen/send info?

Ports are 16-bit unsigned integers.

> 3 - On Hard disks, the Zero (0) track is in the center(or not)?  Read
> from the inner cylinders is faster than the outter cyl's?

Usually on the outside.  Data is recorded at a more-or-less constant
density, while the disk spins at a constant RPM, so you can read data
faster from the outer tracks than the inner tracks.  Putting the 0
sector on the outside thus makes DOS and Windows (and anything else
using FAT) seem faster.

> 4 - For FFS/UFS, this is the place where the root dir's are written
> (in the beggining of the partition/slice? If not, where is this
> information written ?
> (I 've heard that on OS/2 the root of any filesystem is in the
> middle of the partition, thus lowering seek times...)

I'm not sure it makes a difference - after the first filesystem
access, the root directory will be in cache, and since it's the root,
it will likely never leave the cache.  Maybe OS/2 stores all directory
info in the center of the partition?  FFS distributes files (and
directories are files) all over the place.

Later,
scott