Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 20:08:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial Keyboards

In message <XFMail.980323183137.shimon@simon-shapiro.org> Simon Shapiro writes:
: What our correspondent intends to say is RS-232C (?) keyboard.  PC
: keyboards are TTL level only.

OK.  I wasn't precise enough.  I have a keyboard that generates
RS-232C or RS-423 level signals that I'd like to connect to a PC-like
thing (most people call them laptops, mine is a Libretto 50CT) that is
currently running FreeBSD.

: Except that he probably would like to have stdout and stderr (and
: console?) still go to the VGA board.

Yup.  I want to present the same interface to the kernel that the
current PC keyboard interface so it would work with things like X as
well (this may require a lot of translation on my part, which is
cool).  There is also a cool chording keyboard that I'd like to give a
go at running as my system keyboard, but that one is also a RS-232
device....

: Why would anyone want that, is a good question.  A NEW PC KB is $15.

It is a laptop machine that doesn't have a keyboard port. I have a
small, light weight serial (aka RS323) keyboard (from a newton) that
I'd like to connect to its serial port.  I do ahve a port replicator
which has a keyboard interface, but that is too bulky and fragile to
carry with me.

Warner