Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 13:59:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de
Subject:   Re: kde2 on -current, compile problems

In article <200107031552.f63Fqui09435@vashon.polstra.com>,
John Polstra  <jdp@polstra.com> wrote:
> In article <200107031353.f63Drc878410@mp.virtual-earth.de>,
>  <Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de> wrote:
> > kdebase2 stops with:
> >
> > Making all in kicker
> > gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/x11/kdebase2/work/kdebase-2.1.1/kcontrol/kicker'
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/uic -o generaltab.h ./generaltab.ui
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/crtn.o: unsupported file type
> > gmake[3]: *** [generaltab.h] Error 1
>
> Could you please send me the output of "objdump -p /usr/X11R6/bin/uic"?
> Also the output of "ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/uic".

Hr. Picker sent me the requested information in private mail.  The
relevant part of the objdump output is:

    Dynamic Section:
      NEEDED      libqutil.so.1
      NEEDED      libqt2.so.4
      NEEDED      libstdc++.so.3
      NEEDED      libm.so.2
      NEEDED      libc_r.so.5
      NEEDED      libc.so.5
      NEEDED      crtn.o

The last line is the reason for the error message.  I built the qt23
port on my -current machine and observed the same thing.  (The "uic"
program comes from the qt23 port.)  This is almost certainly caused by
an "ld" bug in the new version of binutils (2.11.2).  I haven't tried
to debug it, and I don't know if/when I'll have time.  It's possible
this has already been fixed by the binutils team.  I imagine they
would stumble onto it pretty quickly themselves.

John