Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:56:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cordula's Web <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        pieckiel+freebsd-questions@sdf.lonestar.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snapshot question

pieckiel+freebsd-questions@sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
> When I do my compare of my tape against my snapshot, it's not uncommon for
> one or two files (always the same files) to be different.  The most usual
> culprit being my winbindd_cache.tdb file for Samba.  I thought the snapshot
> would not change over time as the files on the filesystem change.  Does this
> definitively indicate this particular file isn't being written to tape
> correctly most nights?  (Yes, I *AM* backing up my snapshot and comparing
> the backup to my snapshot, not the live filesystem.)

Are you sure you are comparing against the correct snapshot? If you use
dump -L, the snapshot is created, opened, and immediately unlinked,
then the open file is saved. After dump exits, the snapshot file is
pysically released.

Are you creating a snapshot manually? What commands do you use exactly?

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/