Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:47:51 -0800
From:      Jake <jake@checker.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Video card to buy...

> Its time to upgrade my system again, and was wondering what sort of
> recommendations anyone can make on both video and tv tuner cards....
>
> TV Tuner...i'm looking at the Hauppage line of them...si there something
> considered better for the same price range, or is still pretty much
> considered the best?

I doubt it makes much difference, it seems almost any card with a
bt8x8 will work.  I bought my zoltrix TV/Max here in Victoria
for $65 about a year ago.  zoltrix anything is generally crap,
but it works great with fxtv; no NT drivers kind of bugs me.

( www.paradon.com in case you're interested )

> Video Card is the hard one...*whom* is considered good no awayadays? :(
> To many brands, and sub brands, out there now...

I'd say Matrox G200 or any Riva TNT card; I think they're both
supported by XFree86.

The #9 Ticket to Ride 4 and that 19" SGI LCD monitor sound like a
nice combo, if you can foot the $3K.

www.anandtech.com is a good source for reviews of the latest hot rod
hardware; lots of video cards on there.  Mostly gaming oriented,
but it gives you a feel for what to expect.

Good luck, happy hunting :)