Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:51:42 +1000
From:      Christopher JS Vance <vance@usq.edu.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-ROM

In message <19980212072708.364.qmail@hilda.sci.usq.edu.au>, I wrote:

| I've installed 2.2.5-R on my machine after a long break from FreeBSD.

| I have a Dual PCI/IDE controller with a regular disk on wd0, and a
| Samsung CSR2030 ATAPI CD-ROM as secondary slave.  The other system
| beginning with L is happy to find and use the CD-ROM, while FreeBSD
| doesn't seem to find wdc1, let alone what's connected to it.
|
| When I boot, it seems that wdc1 is not found: dmesg from a -v boot

First of all, I want to thank the people who responded to my mail: Todd Hansen, Doug White, John Richards, and Ricardo Almeida.

It appears that wdprobe on wdc1 got an unexpected error value from the WDCC_DIAGNOSE - it was expecting 0x01 or 0x81, not the 0x0f it did see.  Accordingly, wdc1 never made it, so wcd0 wasn't there either.

Telling wdprobe that this value is okay allowed both wdc1 and wcd0 to be found, and a CD-ROM to be read.

Now I have to find out what 0x0f is supposed to mean before I can suggest a permanent fix...  (I've got some of the ATAPI docs, and I'm about to try the same for ATA, but it looks pretty opaque already.  And I should check what's already been done by others modifying wd.c since 2.2.5-R.)

I would have thought somebody was already using a Triton PCI/IDE or a Samsung CD-ROM, but anyway...

-- Christopher