Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:59:49 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paulius <paulius.sulcas@post.skynet.lt>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A question regarding broken link to portmaster man page in FreeBSD Handbook

Paulius wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have noticed that in chapter 4.5.4.4 "Upgrading Ports using Portmaster"
> the link to portmaster man page is leading to a "Sorry, no data found for
> `portmaster(8)'. Please try a keyword search" page for FreeBSD 7.1 RELEASE.
>
> Is this just a thing of broken link or is portmaster no longer
> present/supported on 7.1 release of FreeBSD.

Portmaster is not part of the base at all, it's a port itself.
However, it is supported for all outstanding versions of FreeBSD.

The problem with the link seems to be that the man page is not
installed anywhere that the man.cgi can find it. If a committer who is
familiar with that process can reply to me by private mail on how to
fix that, I would be grateful. :)

All that said, you can install ports-mgmt/portmaster and read the man
page pretty easily, then if you find that it doesn't meet your needs
just pkg_delete it. Alternatively you could do:
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster/files
nroff -mdoc portmaster.8 | more

hope this helps,

Doug