Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 97 08:21:02 -0800
From:      "That Doug Guy" <tiller@connectnet.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Answer on I686_CPU option *Please*

	Pardon my impatience, but I really need an answer on this, and it's
been 2 days now.  I need to know if the "I686_CPU" option in the kernel
configuration is avaliable in 2.1.6*.   I have looked everywhere I can think
of, and sent two letters to this list, and still no luck.  If the -stable branch on
the ftp site is a descendant of 2.1.6, it looks like that option is not available,
but it is not clear to me that is the case.  (I just submitted a PR regarding the
apparent conflict in the WWW version of the Handbook.)  Here is the
entry from
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT:

# This directive is mandatory; it defines the architecture to be
# configured for; in this case, the 386 family.  You must also specify
# at least one CPU (the one you intend to run on); deleting the
# specification for CPUs you don't need to use may make parts of the
# system run faster
#
machine         "i386"
cpu             "I386_CPU"
cpu             "I486_CPU"
cpu             "I586_CPU"              # aka Pentium(tm)

	This indicates to me that there is no I686_CPU option for -stable, and
by association 2.1.6*.  Also, I have a question about the LINT file.  Is there
any reason why including a version number in the comments in the header
of the LINT file would be a bad thing?  Some things that may seem painfully
obvious to an experienced user don't exactly jump out at those of us who
are new, but trying to learn.

	My apologies if my frustration is showing through here.  Feel free to
contact me in private if I am missing something terribly obvious.

Thank you,

Doug