Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:17:29 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Cecilia Hamburger <hamburger46@yahoo.es>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 / 3.3.6 impossible to configure

Hi...

I also had trouble with the new configuration utility in XFree86-4.0.3 and
never did get it working properly. (It started up at a miniscule resolution
and did not seem able to save the values I entered.) So I gritted my teeth
and used "xf86config" at the command line.

Quite honestly, xf86config is not that difficult to use provided you know a
bit about your display card and monitor. In particular, you should check the
monitor's documentation for horizontal and vertical scan rates. They may be
noted as a range (mine were 30-95Hz and 50-180Hz). You should also know how
much video RAM your display adapter has. I think the only thing you can't do
with xf86config is geometry, size, and position adjustments.

M.

--
Michael O'Henly
TENZO Design