Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 00:02:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Saraswathi Mukherjee <essem36@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems- 2.2.7FBSD

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Saraswathi Mukherjee wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently installed
> 2.2.7 release on my machine which dual boots with Windows95.
> However, I am facing some problems in almost every phase.
>
> 1. I have a 3com Fast Etherlink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC
>    (3C905B-TX) but while booting the O/S  the system complains
>     that no driver is assigned. I have recompiled the kernel
>     after adding the line: device xl0  and also configured the
>     rc.conf file with the network options for ifconfig_xl0
>     but still get the same message. It also complains that
>     ifconfig: interface xl0 does not exist. What is wrong?
>     Does this need driver files or
>     FBSD 2.2.7 does not support xl0?

Bingo.  Try 2.2.8.

> 2. When I went thro the installation according to the instructions
>    for CD-ROM installation, when I came at the point of configuring
> XFree86
>    I got a box which said: Press ENTER to return to graphics
>    mode. This may take a while. <OK>. I waited for a while. Nothing
>    happened. so I pressed enter and it got back to the installation
>    screens again. XFree86 was not configured. What is wrong. Should
>    I have to wait too long? or anything wrong? Also how would I run
>    sysinstall from /stand/sysinstall?

Try running XF86Setup after you've rebooted the system.  It's having
trouble with your video card.  Also make sure you installed the XF86_VGA16
and XFree86/Basic/set distributions.

> 3. I have a HP Laserjet 4ML which I connected to the parallel
>    printer
>   port. I have added the device lpt0 in the /dev directory also
>   the interrupt is configured in the kernel.Also I have configured
>    lpd-enable to "YES" in rc.conf. When I checked lpr -Pmyprintername
>    filename, where filename is one of the files I created, I just get empty
> printer pages. The printer is not
>   even responding to simple check. I also checked in su mode. Also I have
> added the corresponding printer directory in lpd directory and
> configured the printcap file. But still no use.

Read the handbook section on printing, you're being bit by the classic HP
stairstep.  Or  you're out of toner. :)

> 4. Also how can a newbie like me learn every detail about all
> configuration files involved in the admin of the system? Is there
> a site help available?

There's man pages on most of them, or their associated commands.

Doug White