Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:23:08 -0700
From:      "Robert Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bokui@sin.photronics.com
Subject:   Re: xdm Problem

You might have a look at=20
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D111191+0+/usr/local/www/db/te=
xt/1998/freebsd-questions/19980906.freebsd-questions
If this is anywhere near what your problem is.
if the above link is broken then go to=20
http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html
and search with key words "xdm and Problem" without the quotes.
You could also remove all .X files from your home directory and let the =
system use the defaults, our you could try failsafe login.
I've often encountered this when my users had wrong permissions on their =
dot files, especially .Xresources.  I've also seen this when the app-defaul=
t dir was not present or had wrong perms.
The failsafe login was designed to get around this problem of munged files =
and give you a simple window to correct the problem.

>>> Zheng Bokui <bokui@sin.photronics.com> 4/23/99 2:53:10 PM >>>
Hi there!
I'm new to FreeBSD and just installed FreeBSD 3.1-stable to an old
Compaq Prolinea 5100e PC ( with 32M RAM and 2.5G HDD) via FTP. The
installation was quite straightforward and I also configured XFree86
with XF86Setup(run from /stand/sysinstall), no error messages found
during the setup.

I tried to run XDM (tried both from /etc/rc/local or /etc/ttys) and
actually got the login screen (The same as I got from Linux). The
problem is I was kicked out immediately after I login. It just displayed
the cool login screen.

I then telnet from another machine and found that the login session was
not there and it even didn't shown when I run last command.

In /var/log/messages, I found:
Apr 23 11:57:15 freebsd /kernel: pid 231 (xsm), uid 0: exited on signal
11 (core
 dumped)
Apr 23 12:03:23 freebsd /kernel: pid 227 (xsm), uid 0: exited on signal
11 (core
 dumped)
Apr 23 13:38:57 freebsd /kernel: pid 287 (xsm), uid 0: exited on signal
11 (core
 dumped)

In /root, I got:
$ ls -l xsm*
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  536576 Apr 23 13:38 xsm.core

I tried running XF86Setup several times with different parameters but
couldn't solve the problem.

I also compared FreeBSD with my Linux machines but couldn't find any
clue.

Any hints and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Bokui