Date:      Tue, 30 May 1995 10:33:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Triton chipset experiences?

> Does anyone have any experience in using FreeBSD on a Triton-based
> motherboard, in particular with performance tuning?  Does the chipset
> need to be fiddled to get maximum possible performance out of the
> machine?

I am selling between 3 and 10 ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 boards a week right
now (mostly in full systems) and have had no problem with them.

You don't have to tweak things to get performance out of this board,
though you can get some more if you use 60nS simms with 90Mhz parts
by tweaking some of the RAM timing parameters.

If you are running a 100Mhz CPU you *must* have 60nS simms and have
found that much tweaking beyond the standard set up leads to instability
of the system (if you used 53nS simms you *might* get a little more
by setting the memory write burst timing to 2-2-2-2 instead of 3-3-3-3).

I am currently investigation an EDO memory problem with ASUS, it does
not do what it should do from my reading of the Micron EDO memory
data books and AP notes.

Have you been reading your mailling lists lately???