Date:      Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:56:49 -0500
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard-seibert@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with "X"

I am a new use of FreeBSD. I am hoping that someone can assist me.

First of all, the output of uname -a:

FreeBSD rcn.com 5.2-RC2 FreeBSD 5.2-RC2 #0: Mon Dec 22, 07:23:48 GMT 2003 root@wv1u@freebsd.org:usr/obj/src1/sys/Generic i386

I enter the command: startx . Everything appears to work correctly. Now, I click on Applications - Desktop Preferences - Advanced - Sawfish. After that, it makes no difference what I click on under that menu because nothing happens. Upon exiting "x" I find the following error messages.

Error: can't connect to socket /tmp/.sawfish-ges/rcn.com:0.0

Error: can't connect to sawfish on display 0.0
/dev/dsp No such file or directory

I have no idea what is wrong or how to correct it. I would appreciate any assistance someone might be able to afford me.

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert@rcn.com