Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:26:35 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, rhh@ct.picker.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BT848 RISC instructions.

Hi,
Yong Kim has emailed me about the bt848 RISC instructions for
RGB modes and the use of the DMA Split.
Please can you help him? Cheers, Roger.

Replies to YoosInfo@netsgo.com

My problem is that I can't understand about RISC instructions enough.
  assume that every local register is set for NTSC input and 320*240*3
RGB.
  now I need to generate a RISC instruction set for that mode.
I thought I needed a OP_SYNC and 240 OP_WRITEs like following.

  OP_SYNC with RESYNC and BKTR_FM1
  OP_WRITE with EOL, SOL and 0x03c0 bytes to XXXXXXXX
  OP_WRITE with EOL, SOL and 0x03c0 bytes to XXXXXXXX
  .
  .
  but bt848 driver doesn't generate such instructions. it generates some
different instructions from what I thought. some JUMP codes
and WRITE codes that seem stupid. the code generated by bt848 driver is
like following.
  .
  .
  OP_WRITE with SOL,EOL and 0x03c0 bytes to XXXXXXXX
  OP_WRITE with SOL and 0x2c0 bytes to XXXXXXXX
  OP_WRITE with EOL and 0x100 bytes to XXXXXXXX
  .
  .
  why doesn't the driver move total data of a line to memory at once?
is that some kinda optimizing-code to avoid PCI-bus traffic?
is it just because there's not enough continued physical memory?
what's DMA_BT848_SPLIT (319*2) in your source code?

Cheers
Roger