Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:10:39 -0400
From:      PK1048 <paul@pk1048.com>
To:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        javocado <javocado@gmail.com>, "Schweiss, Chip" <chip@innovates.com>
Subject:   Re: Optimizing performance with SLOG/L2ARC

On Aug 19, 2015, at 12:02, Schweiss, Chip <chip@innovates.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM, PK1048 <paul@pk1048.com> wrote:
>=20
>> Please note that, depending on your workload, an SSD may _not_ be any
>> faster than a HDD. I am in the process of rebuilding a file server =
that
>> exhibited poor NFS SYNC write performance. Yet it had a mirrored pair =
of
>> SSDs. Unfortunately, those SSDs had _worse_ write performance than an =
HDD
>> for small (4 KB) writes. Based on recommendations from the OpenZFS =
list I
>> have a pair of Intel 3710 SSDs coming in to try, they are supposed to =
have
>> much better write performance (at all block sizes) and much better
>> reliability long term (10x full disk writes per day for 5 years). =
I=92ll know
>> more once they arrive and I can test with them.
>>=20
>=20
> Pure SSD pools still need a log device.

Sorry I was unclear, I was NOT suggesting a pure SSD pool.

>   ZFS doesn't play well with the
> ZIL on the pool with SSDs.   Even an SSD of the same type as the pool
> devices as the log device will fix the latency problem and throughput
> problems.

If your load is sync writes then you decidedly want a LOG device, even =
if it is the same type as the devices in the pool. For the reasons =
others have posted.

> It seems counter-intuitive but a very real problem, there is a long =
thread
> about this on the Illumos ZFS list.  If you don't believe it, turn off =
sync
> on your SSD pool and performance will skyrocket.

But remember to turn it back on after you test so that you don=92t break =
posix sync behavior and raise the possibility of loosing writes in =
flight. I am horrified at the number of posts on the Internet that tell =
you to simply disable sync to fix sync performance issues (VM images =
accessed via NFS being a very common one).