Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 22:39:38 +0100
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ad0: Hard Read Error

	Darryl,

=== Darryl Hoar escribia
(Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 12:29:15PM -0600):

> Greetings,
> I am running FreeBSD 4.0-Release installed from the Walnut Creek
> CD-ROMS.  I have recently been receiving the following message
> ad0: Hard Read Error blk# 2845389 Status=59 Error=10.  I receive
> this message for other block#'s as well.  I did a brief search of the
> archive and didn't find a useful answer.  Is this an indicator that
> the hard drive (a Fireball 3.2GB IDE drive) is shot ? Or am I
> experiencing another problem ?  I was going to drop in a new
> IDE drive, but thought I'd ask if this problem was not related to
> hardware.

	If you want to be sure you can go to Quantum's site
and look there for their test software. It's a Windows
executable that lets you build a bootable floppy. Boot your
machine with it and follow directions, it will tell you
whether your disk is in trouble or not.

> thanks in advance,

	HTH

> -- Darryl