Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:35:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu (Brett Taylor)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, chirag@cse.iitb.ernet.in, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD X11 Desktop Theme Contest

According to Brett Taylor:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > According to Brett Taylor:
>
> > > Haven't had any in awhile - I just made a new screenshot of my current
> > > Window Maker desktop recently but I didn't put it up.  I can point you to
> > > it if you're interested.
>
> > 		Please do.
>
> Okay - be warned.  It's a South Park-ified movie poster.  It's also big
> (read 326 kB).  Sorry.  :-)

		Not-a-problem since I'm onsite.  That is a neat bg!
		The weather widget is nice.

		Another neat app would be having stock tickers from
		all over the world with whatever delay.  ---Sorry,
		I'm drifting.

> 	http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/images/south_screen.jpg
>
> You can get the theme for this at wm.themes.org.  I've modified the
> original theme so that it would work (there are missing xpms and the
> background is defined wrong in the theme initially) and then had it use a
> bigger image than the one that it comes w/ from wm.themes.org (grabbed the
> larger image from the original site) and then had the background image
> centered instead of maximized.

		Got to check out that site!  It's be worthwhile
		having one of those JPEG's replace my present,
		grey xdm login screen.  Jordan mentioned doing
		something similar with Chuck a year or two ago.

> > 		[[ mumble ]]

> Ah... okay. I think then what you want is to set a window, say Netscape,
> to always be on top?

		Yes, this is another way of looking at the issue.
		Either netscape or knews or another app.

> If so you can do that in Window Maker.  Start up
> Netscape, right click on the title bar and choose window attributes and
> then click on "Keep on top/floating" and it will always stay on top.
> Even if you set your other apps to autoraise, this would still keep
> Netscape on top (preventing the xterm from popping up over it).  I imagine
> that After Step and such have similar things, but I can't recall how to do
> it in AS - I think it's something like "Always on Top" in the old 1.0
> wording.  No clue how to do this in the latest versions.

		Is there a way of toggling that ``keep on top''
		off as well?

> > 		What is "sloppy focus"?
>
> Sloppy focus is like auto-focus only the cursor can move out of the window
> and that window will remain focussed until it enters another window.

		So that if you bump your mouse out of this xterm
		into root, say, you can keep on working... .
		That's a well-thought-out feature.

		gary