Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:21:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laying down tags

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > Would you mind giving one example where not having tags hurt us?
>

> Sure.  When multiple developers are trying to work together as well as
> track -current, everything has to be done by hand.  Case in point is the
> work that the VM guys want to do.  It would be alot easier for both the
> developers *AND* the testers to share code this way.  This also makes it
> much easier for the developer to 'merge' in changes made to the main
> branch, rather than having to hand-merge it in everytime, build diffs,
> and re-distribute them.
>
> The other developers then need to back-out the original diffs, re-apply
> the new diffs, which is alot more work.  With CVS, this is done *ONCE*
> for each change (by CVS), hence the amount of work to help out is much
> less.
>
> What 'cheaper' way could this kind of easy integration be done, short of
> using the 'magic' branch tags in the FreeBSD CVS version that I don't if
> anyone has ever used because I don't think anyone knows exactly if it
> works, and how to make it work.

OK, now I see the light.  I've had a lot of people responding, but all
the other responses could be covered by the use of date checkouts.  This
makes sense.

I get very stubborn when I'm given (what appears to me to be) a bogus
argument, even if the ultimate conclusion is right.  The reason given
for the conclusion has to hold water.

> Nate

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |