Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:09:32 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Michael Moran <mmoran@veronet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: E-Mail size limitation by ISPs

Michael Moran wrote:

> Are ISPs out there limiting the size of e-mail messages and its file
> attachments?
>
> If so, what are their size of limitation? and reasons?

Some do, some don't... For example we do... To around 10Mb, we figure after
having a few people try to email our customers (who at best connect with ISDN
64k) with 200Mb attachments, it's saves our system from running out of space -
and the end user from phoning up with "I can't pickup my mail, your service is
crap" type statements (after having waited 5 minutes for their 'Checking Email
now' dialogs to clear)...

We publicly announce the limit as 10mb, and encourage our customers who have a
problem with this to contact us... If someone did make it apparent it was a
problem, we'd probably up it - though I doubt we'd ever let it run free as it
did before - It's just too much of a risk in this day and age (with massive
files generated by huge programs being sent via UUencoded / MIME mail ;-)

So far no one has complained... Though we've had a number of complaints about
AOL's limits for External -> Internal (AOL) mail... (which AFAIK is around 1.3
or 3Mbs? :-)

-Kp