Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:01:54 +0300
From:      Arto Pekkanen <isoa@kapsi.fi>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Juan_Ram=c3=b3n_Molina_Menor?= <listjm@club.fr>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, =?UTF-8?Q?Jean-S=c3=a9bastien_P=c3=a9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
Subject:   Re: Success! Was: Testing the new i915 driver (HD Graphics 4400)

--m9CfQWCCURUkktUeRrSjQRG0ptMw3mh0U

Would you like to elaborate on this "High CPU usage when playing videos"?=
 Did you mean "high CPU usage when compared to previous driver"? Or what =
are the exact metrics for this statement?

I am a multi-system power user, and I can tell you that in a vanilla Debi=
an 8.0 installation with Intel driver, on my Thinkpad T430, Chromium eats=
 20%+ CPU when playing HD videos from Youtube. Also, to get rid of video =
tearing issues, one need to use x11-wm/compton to do composition in both =
FreeBSD and Debian (or any other Linuxen). The compositor causes further =
+20-40% CPU usage per OpenGL/GLX process (guaranteed, tested, no workarou=
nd). The compositor induced per process overhead could be done away by tw=
eaking driver options, compositor configuration etc. but it requires a lo=
t of experimentation (and frankly, most people just give up at this point=
 and learn to live with either high CPU usage or video tearing). In gener=
al, most systems using X.org/X11 is really, really awful at video playbac=
k when compared to Windows or OS X. This is why there are video accelerat=
ion interfaces, such as Intel VAAPI or nVidia VDPAU that negate the CPU o=
verhead and eliminate tearing.

Plese try VAAPI. You must compile in the VAAPI support in both the player=
 and the AV codec framework. If you VAAPI helped with the high CPU usage,=
 a report would be appreciated.

On 11.10.2015 19:05, Juan Ram=C3=B3n Molina Menor wrote:
>>> With the updated code, kldload i915kms works after some hesitation an=
>>> screen artefacts (images not sent to the list), then X starts and I c=
an
>>> switch to the console forth and back but as soon as I open a xterm
>>> window the computer crashes and reboots.
>=20
> The changes made yesterday have resolved the issue of X applications cr=
ashing and the light environment I use (CWM, Vimb) has proven to be very =
stable. I have been able to play HD videos at full-screen, browse YouTube=
, close the Xorg server and launch it again, etc. Normal operation, albei=
t the CPU usage seems very high when playing videos.
>=20
> Thanks again Jean-S=C3=A9bastien, it is a pleasure to finally use FreeB=
SD on my main laptop.