Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:56:54 +1100
From:      Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Demonic Naming service.

Please enlighten;

I have looked up IPs I found in my firewall logs and, no surprise, some of
them do not reverse resolve.  No surprise, faked IP, presumably.  BUT, I
can traceroute and ping the IPs.  So they must exist.  My conclusion; I
have something stuffed in my DNS.

Is my conclusion correct?  Is my reasoning correct?

I've just noticed that my machine has had an smtp conversation with an
unresolvable host "202.98.16.1".  Ethereal shows a normal mail conversation
(w/out going inside the packets).

Does that confirm I have a bum DNS setup?  Or since my ISP couldn't resolve
it, does it confirm that their DNS is stuffed?

Geoff
--
count@shalimar.net.au