Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:25:14 +0100
From:      Anselm Strauss <amsibamsi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting from ZFS raidz

Hi,

I'm experimenting with a ZFS only system and booting from it in =
VirtualBox. Thanks to various mails and forum posts from the net I have =
a working scenario with booting from a ZFS mirror. However, I can't get =
the thing to work with raidz with the exactly same setup, except that =
the pool is now raidz instead of mirror and there is one more disk. I =
feel sure I have all the stuff with partitioning, boot loader =
installation, etc. right. I tested this with version 8.0-RELEASE on =
64bit.

Now, before I go into detailed explaining, is raidz really supported? I =
always get the following error after it says "FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap =
loader, Revision 1.1":

ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS object directory
(repeats a lot)
Can't find root filesystem - giving up
can't load 'kernel'

I think the "MOS" message comes from zfs_mount_root() in =
/usr/src/sys/boot/zfs/zfsimpl.c. I asume that is the point when =
/boot/loader has been loaded and now wants to load the kernel into =
memory. After that error I'm in the loader prompt. When I try to load =
any file I always get the same error as above.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,
Anselm=