Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 18:24:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        tkelley@cy.com (Tim M. Kelley)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 install problem (failed to load ROOT distribution)

hasn't Tim M. Kelley said ? ...

> At 09:17 AM 1/12/96 -0800, you wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.1 (on CD from Walnut Creek). Unfortunately,
> >> I have an IDE CDROM drive, and the installation software isn't recognizing
> >> my CD. (I've got 2 IDE drives, one IDE CD configured as master on secondary
> >> IDE ribbon).
> >
> >does the kernel on the ATAPI floppy also not recognise your drive?
> >

> No the ATAPI floppy does not recognise the drive. I should say here,
> however, that in the boot sequence after the two lines for wd0 and two lines
> for wd1, there is a line for wc1, but the second line for wc1 doesn't
> appear. For wd0 and wd1, that second line shows the drive type and
> configuration.
>
> I didn't mention it in my last post, but the PC has a PCI bus, if that makes
> any difference.

try the cdrom as slave on the first controller and the second disk as
master on the second - this way the atapi.flp should work

                                                   __||
  Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||     thomas graichen
  longer anything to add, but when there   __||    freie universitaet berlin
  is no longer anything to take away   __||           fachbereich physik
                                   __||
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||        graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de