Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:30:58 -0500
From:      "Scott M. DePalma" <sdepalma@sirus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Basic but unrelated questions

Hello. I'm dipping my toe in fbsd. I'm very green, I've read the handbook,
read the first three chapters of the new "newbies" book online, and have
installed only the bin files on my old 386, using floppies. I'm using a 200
MB drive at present, and I know it's too small but I'm trying to learn
something before I go out and get another drive. So far there are two
things I haven't solved by experimenting.

1. I'm trying to add the manpages distribution. I go through the post-install
config windows but when I get to the final step I get the message "Couldn't
extract the following distributions. This may be because they were not
available
on the installation media you chose." I downloaded the files to three
floppies,
each to a directory a:\manpages.

2. When the system is probing my equipment during boot, it tells me that I
have an lpt0 and an lpt1 at the same address and that there is an I/O conflict
between them at IRQ 7. IRQ 7 is of course correct for lpt1, but what is lpt0?
I seem to recall that during installation the program associated lpt0 with
IRQ 7, and refused to let me correct it.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to install manpages and how to
correct the I/O conflict. I promise that I won't do this once a week although
I'm tempted. TIA

Scott