Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:35:35 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        imp@village.org, behanna@zbzoom.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jim@siteplus.net
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE pccard?

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 03:56:03PM -0400, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>  The trade-mark is SmartLink , which appears to be the Archtek America
>  Corporation.
>

>     %*LNA100N.DeviceDesc%=LNA100N.ndi,PCMCIA\PCMCIA-FastEthernet-7898
>

>  Do any of these cryptic strings mean anything to anyone?

Sounds familiar, my previous card was brandless, the actual PCB says :
Billionton Systems Inc. LNA-100 Ver:1.1

Windows 95 driver line looked very familiar to the one you've got.
(But I don't have a Windows laptop to test this with anymore =( or =)
depending on how you look at it! )

Notable chips on it :

a) SD49784 sumida - not a clue what that is.
	(simple rom to keep ID details ? Can't find any info on SUMIDA
	as a company, could just be where it's made of course!)

b) AX88190 P ASIX F99060291 EDI
	http://www.asix.com.tw/
	10/100 (MII) Fast ethernet controller
	There's a lot of documentation here...
	The datasheet : http://www.asix.com.tw/Ax190-16.PDF

Sod, I've just read the first few pages and I think I can see where to
find the MAC address on the card, I guess that's probably what my
problem was with my first card! Oops.

c) LUCENT LU6612 9914S 37214404
	get the spec from here, might have more helpful
	information on similar chips as well:
	http://www.lucent.com/micro/netcom/products/enterprise_lan.html

d) 2 * W24257AQ 28531420-511 9120CX0 (ram?)
	not a clue!

I think that http://www.asix.com.tw/190lu3a.PDF is interesting.
	it's a reference design for a similar card.

Sadly, http://www.asix.com.tw/190lu1a.PDF would be the link I want.  a
reference design, with drivers! for the AX88190 + lucent 6612, which
looks like it should be there... but the link is messed up/broken, so
the reference design for what is probably identical to my netcard is
probably there, with drivers.

Excuse me, minor rant time :

But due to some idiot web designer/html markup monkey (no offence to
web monkeys!) I can't see the reference design for my LAN card, but
they do have the above for the lucent 3x31 design instead. grrr! They
have datasheets and drivers for all of them anyway. Might help ?

>  The bar-code on the box says 100BTX-16, the `official' name from
>  the www.archtek.com web page appears to be:
>
>     SmartLink EP100-BTX-16(C) 10/100Mbps 16 bit Auto-Sensing PCMCIA
>     Ethernet Card.
>

>  I couldn't find anything in the manual, on the box or on the
>  web page that indicated what the chipset was...

Did you try prizing the case open ? It's not too hard!

>  The floppy has drivers for Linux - when a do a strings on the
>  objects, etc... the only semi-meaningful thing to come out is
>    lnax100
>    pcnet_reset_8390
>    8390.c:v1.10cvs 9/23/94 Donal Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)

I'd take a peek at the drivers on asix page, they might shed some new
light on it for you ? Depends how far you want to go, I just bought a
different card and stayed at work an extra few hours! =)

I guess to someone who wrote the ed drivers this is all fairly common
knowledge though, I wish they'd shared it with me when I was trying to
figure the damn things out!

Hope that helped, or was at least amusing.

	Steve