Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:03:36 -0600
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   my own init scritps not running (dhcp setup)

I have, with minimal effort, managed to get dhcp running for my cable
modem.  Simply editing out one # from my kernel fig, recompiling,
removing all of the static network information, and typing

  dhclient ed0

Gets everything running.

However, if I add /etc/start_if.edu fill suggested in the guide I
found, the system hangs on boot, in a loop about arpresolve not being
able to resolve.  I've tried moving the file to /usr/local/etc, but
nothing happens on boot; the result is no different than when the file
is not there.  It's a message suggesting that gethostbyname failed, and
inviting me to try to configure manually.  It doesn't seem to appear in
/var/log/messages (neither does the arpresolve message).

When I try manually, simply typing the above phrase works every time.

I had the same problem with xdm, and finally gave up--but at the time,
the system was on my desk, running around the clock; today, the kids
neet to dualboot it for windows for their games, and freebsd for
internet stuff (The thought of letting windows 3.1 run around with an
internet connection scares me.  Hopefully, wine will run a good chunk
of their older stuff).

What do I need to do (besides set the execute bits) to get the scripts
in /usr/local/etc to run?  --preferably, after everything else, it
seems.

rick

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.