Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:41:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      Michael Beckmann <petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boots from wrong disk

Hi,

yesterday I did the following:

I added a new 4 GB drive to my system (sd1 on SCSI ID 6), which is
connected to the built-in NCR SCSI controller of my Asus SP3G mainboard.
Before that, the machine had only one 1 GB drive (sd0 on SCSI ID 0) on
which I had installed the 2.1.0-950726-SNAP.
So when I installed the new disk, I thought it would be a good idea to
install a more recent OS, too, and I installed the 2.1.0-951104-SNAP
via ftp. The installation worked flawless, except for the fact that some
of the packages which I wanted to install were not present in the
2.1-packages directory, and except for the fact that I wasn't exactly
sure which options for newfs were best. Since the 4 GB drive is faster
than the 1 GB drive, I installed FreeBSD on sd1. I also told the
installer to install the boot manager.
So I have an older OS on sd0 now, and a newer OS on sd1.
Unfortunately, it seems not to have installed the boot manager. After the
installation, when I rebooted, the old system was still active, and I
don't know how to boot the other system. What can I do ?

Thanks,

Michael