Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:30:50 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        pav@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Lars =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <lars@koellers.net>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade of itcl breaks tkdesk

--==_Exmh_1933968158P

(jchris, maintainer of 'tkdesk' added to Cc: list)

 =

> > now on tcl8.4.
> > =

> > This mix leads to a core when tkdesk is starting.
> > =

> > Please can you fix this? It costs me over an hour to track this down.=

> =

> I backed out lsat update of itcl, sorry for inconvenience.
> Are there any chances that tkdesk will get working with tk84?

I'll have time to take a look at it at the end of next week, if no-one =

gets to it first. No promises, because I think I know what I'm going to =

find (namely that it needs more work than I'm prepared to put in, as I =

don't use it anymore).

> I noticed there wasn't new release of it for nearly 5 years.

Yes. Some patches in FreeBSD which make 'tkdesk' work with Tcl/Tk 8.3 =

aren't yet incorporated into the source distro, despite originating from
=

the tkdesk mailing list originally. I saw no activity on SourceForge =

last time I looked.

There was a similar issue with the recent BLT version bump (solved by =

using the internal, obsolete, BLT in the tkdesk source tree), and I seem
=

to recall that tkdesk also needs a update to stay in line with current =

tcl/tk standards, not just janking it up through versions (which has =

mostly worked from 8.1).

It might be possible to use the same workaround for 'itcl' as was done =

for BLT, but this is getting uglier and uglier, and simply staving off =

the inevitable.

Pav, thanks for your hard work to update 'itcl' and keep it up-to-date =

(not to mention those working on the Tcl/Tk updates).

It's obviously not my decision to take, but I regret to say that I tend =

to the view that it is probably best for -ports as a whole to update =

'itcl' to 8.4 if the only thing holding it back is the 'tkdesk' port.

This would leave 'tkdesk' broken, to be updated as/when possible. I =

might be mistaken, but I don't think it's worked on Linux since they =

went to 8.3 - and that *BSD is the only place where 'tkdesk' has worked =

for quite some time.

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_1933968158P