Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:29:36 +0200 (MDT)
From:      Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   O2Micro OZ6832 && 3c589D && FreeBSD 2.2.6

I have a brand new notebook with a O2Micro OZ6832 PCI CardBus
bridge and a 3Com Etherlink III 3c589D PCMCIA network card.

This configuration isn't supported in 2.2.6-RELEASE and also
didn't work with PAO for 2.2.5. I started to dig into the
drivers and with the help of Nate Williams, David Hinds, folks
from O2Micro and a good manual of the OZ6832 from O2Micro I
added support for this controller into the PCI part (e.g.
into usr/src/sys/pci/pcic_p.*) and I think the bridge is now
configured properly but doesn't steer out the interrupts from
the 3c589D *or* doesn't get interrupts from the 3c589D. At the
moment I think the latter is true.

BTW: all other functions like IRQ for card changes, card
detection in user-land in the /etc/pccardd.conf etc. are working
fine. Even the transfer of TCP/IP pkgs does work but every
transmit causes a "timeout" and a call to the watchdog-routine
because the ep driver doesn't see interrupts. Needless to say
that both are also working in Win95.

OK. I think the 1st half of the way is done and it's time
to look into the ep driver itself. There are also some
notes in usr/src/sys/i386/isa/if_ep.c that "The order in
here seems important. Otherwise we may not receive interrups"
(near line 678 of if_ep.c). Don't kow who wrote this
comment and it also seems that the code was later changed
by someone else and (maybe) now isn't working for 3c589D
(it's only a guess at the moment). To check the logic
in if_ep.c I need a programming manual of the 3c589D.
Is someone able to provide me with such a manual?

The file if_epreg.h contains a hint about an "Etherlink III
Parallel Tasking EISA and ISA Technical Reference" "Beta Draft
10/30/92" manual from 3Com. I checked the web pages of 3Com
but did not found such a manual.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

	matthias
--
firm: matthias.apitz@sisis.de [voc:+49-89-61308-351, fax: +49-89-61308-188]
priv: guru@thias.muc.de

from USENET:
People who run servers understand that flashy interactive interfaces have
nothing to do with the underlying functionality and often get in the way.