Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 22:33:18 +0200
From:      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing dependency in FreeBSD ports

Joe -

> > While attempting to install the textproc/docproj port, I ran into this
> > error:
> >
> > checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
> > Found Python version 2.2
> > Warning: Missing libxml2-python
> > Enabling debugger
> > checking for libxml libraries >= 2.4.23... configure: error: Version 2.4.12 found. You need at least libxml2 2.4.23 for this version of libxslt
> > ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> >       Please report the problem to gnome@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
> >       the "/usr/ports/textproc/libxslt/work/libxslt-1.0.20/config.log"
> >       including the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might
> >       be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your
> >       system (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/libxslt.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Is this a known problem?  If you need additional info, let me know.
> >
> > I installed libxml2 manually and building continued.
>

> Take a look at the error.  Your libxml2 is slightly out of date.
> Unfortunately, the ports tree isn't able to check dependency versions.

Why not?  I'm sure it can check versions in several ways, why would it
not be able to detect the version of libxml2?

At least configure can discover it's the wrong version, thus the ports
Makefile should be able to do this just as well.

I was actually installing the docproj port, it's quite annoying when
some deep down dependency fails.

- Bram

--
ARTHUR:  Then who is your lord?