Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:40:49 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hoover" <shooverfbn@442spot.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Questions about vinum and failure of root partition

I've been playing around with Vinum the last couple of days and I have a
question concerning failure of the root partition.

I understand the value that Vinum can bring for RAID0 (striping) to increase
volume size and performance. However, I don't really see any value in the
mirroring capabilities if Vinum cannot mirror the root partition.

Could some give me a brief rundown of how to recover the data from a
mirrored drive (partition) if the primary drive fails and the FreeBSD config
is lost? Perhaps point me to some reading I should absorb. (Little more
specific than man vinum please :) I have read the Bootstrapping Vinum
article - and I appreciate what it accomplishes, but I want to address this
issue from a pure Vinum setup - no fancy perl boot scripts.

Thanks!
Stephen Hoover
Dallas, Texas