Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:16:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM/CHOOSER Xfree 401 and Xfree 336 on FBSD 4.2

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, David Scheidt wrote:

:>On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, O. Hartmann wrote:
:>
:>:configuration situations the exact same behaviour! So I should exclude any
:>:trouble with IPFW or similar filtering tools or anything with autheticatio
:>:schemes.
:>:
:>:Well, I never read anything about problems or changes in how XDM works in
:>:XFree86 4.0.1, so if there is anybody out here who has some information
:>:he's very welcome to email me.
:>
:>I remember that there was a problem with some early XFree 4.x, where the
:>default configuration was broken.  I don't remember the details, but it's
:>possible to fix by recompiling with the correct options.  It was discussed
:>here, or maybe in -chat.  Maybe this jogs someone's memory?
:>
:>David
:>
:>
:>
:>

Thank you for responding.
Well, I recompiled XFree 4.0.1_8 with the Makefile that was obtained by
the ports collection, so if there were known bugs or problems targeting
only the right way to compile it should be fixed by the make routines offered
by the ports collection.

For the first I downgraded my XDM serving host to XFree 3.3.6, hope to get
rid of the older XFree in the future when this nasty and hair-costing problem
has been solved.

Thank you :-)

Wishes,
Oliver