Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:08:27 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        Wojciech, Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_MODULES in /etc/make.conf doesn't work

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 04:54:05 -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>:
>
> > On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 22:59:44 -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > > How does one, when building the kernel, prevent building one or more modules?
>
> > Use the "new" means of /etc/src.conf (see "man src.conf" for
> > details) to prevent the building of modules.
>
> I looked through "man make.conf" and "man src.conf" and couldn't find what you mean by the "new" means of /etc/src.conf .
>
> I saw references to WITHOUT_MODULES in "man make.conf" but not "man src.conf".

Yes, /etc/src.conf uses WITHOUT_* on a per-module basis, so you need
to explicitely name the modules not to build.

But you're right, there's only WITHOUT_USB (for not building the
USB-related parts), so going with kernel configuration would be
a good point to start -- the more precise you can define your
test setting and its variables, the better you can diagnose the
problem.

In /etc/make.conf, you could use MODULES_OVERRIDE to define the
set of modules you want (because only _those_ will then be
build) and keeping their functionality out of the kernel. In
this case, you have control over your test setting using the
modules.

The same files offers NO_MODULES=yes to avoid building modules
at all (use custom kernel instead).

If you decide to use WITHOUT_MODULES, you can define the set of
modules you want to avoid building, everything else will be
built.

> Would
> WITHOUT_MODULES= ulpt
> work better in /etc/src.conf than in /etc/make.conf ?

No, /etc/src.conf as (according to its manpage) a defined set of
variables that will be considered when building (or _not_ building)
certain modules.

> Besides the toxic (?) ulpt.ko, there are a lot of modules that
> would never be used on my hardware, and other modules that could
> be built in the kernel as non-modules (such as support for msdosfs
> and ext2fs, which I don't want to be without).

That's a good setting for using a custom kernel and not even
building the modules for the non-used functionalities. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany