Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:05:23 -0400
From:      Kevin Wilcox <kevin.wilcox@gmail.com>
To:        kalin m <kalin@el.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware and freebsd 8

On 28 July 2010 00:47, kalin m <kalin@el.net> wrote:

> messing around with vmware and fbsd 8...
>
> has anybody used vmware esxi 4 to put a bunch of fbsd machines on it?
> i also installed the vmsphere client (they call it) which is pretty nice
> interface to interact with the virtual machines but apparently doesn't know
> much on how to install vmware tools on a bsd guest.

We use paid-for ESX, not ESXi, but that shouldn't make a difference.
FreeBSD 8 and ESX play great together, at least in my circumstances.

Setups are pretty generic - minimal installs + ports with different
VMs for subversion, apache, postgresql, OSSEC, netflow collectors,
snort and even a few virtual FreeBSD firewalls.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased.

> so the question is which vmware tools should i get for the fbsd 8 guests to
> go with the esxi 4.1. in the ports there are vmware-tools6, 5, 4, 3. tried
> six. it wants some disk. there is also the open-vmware-tools. is that open
> one better to play with the esxi 4.1 an the vmsphere thing?

I install vmware-guestd6 from ports so I can eliminate all of the X
libraries getting installed. ESXi should come with a freebsd.iso file
that you can use for the tools install (I'm not one of our ESX
administrators so I can't speak definitively but I did get an ISO from
them for the tools installation).

> also is there anything better than vmware for virtualization that plays nice
> and with fbsd?

The rumour is that FreeBSD does great as Xen domU but then you have to
have a Linux or Windows dom0 (perhaps Mac OS X would work, too?). I'm
doing a CentOS install right now, specifically to try FreeBSD under
Xen.

As someone else mentioned, VirtualBox and FreeBSD get along great
though I'm not entirely sure *I* would use it for a production
environment. I ran VirtualBox on a FreeBSD host with FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
Linux, Windows XP and Windows 7 Ultimate guests and my issues were
minimal. It's the only virtualisation software installed on this
workstation.

kmw