Date:      Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:37:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Thomas Krause" <freebsd-stable@chef-ingenieur.de>
To:        Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: $HOME changed from 6.2 to 6.3 and 7.0 ?!

> Dear Thomas and FreeBSD friends,
>
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:52:11PM +0100, Thomas Krause wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> after upgrading from 6.2R to 6.3R my daily jobs, which are normaly
>> executed from /etc/daily.local, are not longer started.
>> The entry in daily.local is
>> $HOME/bin/save-conf.sh
>> 6.2R executed /root/bin/save-conf.sh
>> 6.3R (and 7.0R) tries to start /var/log/bin/save-conf.bin
>>
>> Why? I cannot find such a homedir in /etc/passwd!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thomas.
>

> I'm sorry, I do not know why $HOME is resolved to /var/log/.
>
> Is /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/ not the place to put your daily
> executable scripts? What is daily.local about? I have searched the net
> myself and seems that daily.local is something out of an old box. It
> should be superseded by /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/
> Do you have a script like /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/999.local Or is
> there another place where the script daily.local will be launched. I
> assume that daily.local is a script? Maybe there $HOME is set?

my consideration was:

gromit:/ # grep daily.local /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
daily_local="/etc/daily.local"                          # Local scripts
gromit:/ # uname -r
7.0-RELEASE

I' checked an older 5.5R an found in /etc/crontab an entry
HOME=/var/log - but in this release it has no effect ?!

Best regards,
Thomas.