Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:03:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Price <steve@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MMU-less FreeBSD

> > Hard.  Lots of stuff relies on mmap, which basiclly requires an MMU or
> > other tricks.  The other tricks can be somewhat expensive...
>
> That's sort of what I figured.  WRS and possible others use BSD
> as a basis for their embedded OS on archs without an MMU, right?

No.  Many embedded operating systems use chunks of BSD code, but you're
not going to run a "real" BSD on anything without an MMU; you'll have to
cut it down drastically (and effectively rewrite much of the core of the OS.

If you want an OS, consider eCOS or one of the "real" embedded systems,
don't make too much work for yourself trying to take a system that's
entirely unsuited to the task and butchering it...