Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2008 05:38:26 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Shakul M Hameed <smohideen@mx2.labs.rootshell.ws>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup 7.0 STABLE checkout failure

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:33:08PM +0530, Shakul M Hameed wrote:
> Forwarding original msg to freebsd-questions mailing list.
>
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:06:13PM +0530, Shakul M Hameed wrote:
> > I am trying to download 7.0 stable release through cvsup, but it fails. I tried changing the server, but still get those errors.
> >
> > ----- ERROR -------
> >
> > Checkout src/share/doc/psd/15.yacc/ss..
> > Updater failed: Error in
> > "/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_7": Cannot rename
> > "/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all/#cvs.cvsup-7219.0" to
> > "/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_7": No such filer or directory
> >
> > ---- SUPFILE -----
> > default stable-cvsup from /usr/share/examples/cvsup
> > --
> >
> > pls, indicate what i am doing wrong here?

1) Your setup looks very custom.  I see SMB/CIFS in use, and you're
using a non-standard directory for the cvsup CVS data (the default is
/usr/sup).  You're either starting cvsup with some custom arguments or
your supfile *is* in fact modified.

2) Check permissions and ownership of all directories leading up to
/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all.  Yes, check every single
one.

3) Ensure your umask is 022 before starting cvsup.  This could be a side
result of item #2.

4) I'm not sure why you're using cvsup on a 7.x box when csup comes with
the base system.

I would also try doing this as a last resort:

rm -fr /usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all
rm -fr /usr/src/*
csup -h <cvsupserver> -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

However, with regards to use of /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
see my above comment; yours may be modified.