Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2012 06:07:36 -0400
From:      Robert Blayzor <rblayzor.bulk@inoc.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pxeboot with jumbo frame network

On Jul 23, 2012, at 1:58 PM, Bob Healey wrote:
> I know I have this working, however I don't remember what I did.  I =
know I can pxeboot and install RHEL on a 9K frame network from a FreeBSD =
tftp server/NAT gateway.  I do know the first thing in my RHEL install =
script is to set the MTU to 9K.
> If I have a chance later today, I'll dig into one of my install =
servers and try to figure out what options I used with DHCP to get it =
working.

The trick is setting the boot time options on the client.  The server =
side (TFTP server) is the easy part as it's already setup and running.  =
But if the client boots and it's not jumbo frame enabled, TFTP will =
surely hang on getting the PXEboot as the server will be trying to send =
9K UDP frames to a client that's probably defaulted to 1500.

If there is a DHCP option to set the client MTU, I've not found it =
anywhere.

--=20
Robert Blayzor
INOC, LLC