Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:55:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   4GB DRAM, Symbios 53C896

Hi all,

1) I have an Intel SC450NX with 2GB DRAM running (slightly hacked)
   FreeBSD-3.0.  This has been very stable (> 50 days uptime).
   I'm about to upgrade to 4GB DRAM, has anyone else tried this ?
   And are there any known problems ?  Would I be better off
   upgrading to 3.1 first ?

2) We're also planning to buy a second SC450NX.  Back in January
   I couldn't install 3.0 using the onboard Symbios 53C896 scsi,
   so had to get an Adaptec 2940UW card.  Looking at the release
   notes for 3.1, it claims that the 53C896 is now supported -
   but the list of driver changes doesn't mention any enhancement
   in the ncr driver.  So is it now possible to install 3.1
   using the 53C896 scsi, or do I still need an Adaptec card ?

Thanks
    Richard Cownie