Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:42:04 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: understanding this portupgrade error

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:04:08 +0100
RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:59:43 -0400
> "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm upgrading cacti, and it's failing on the net-snmp port.
> >
> > ===>  Installing for net-snmp-5.3.1_2
> > ===>   net-snmp-5.3.1_2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.8 -
> > found ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> > ===>  Checking if net-mgmt/net-snmp already installed
> > ===>   An older version of net-mgmt/net-snmp is already installed
> > (net-snmp-5.2.3_4)
> >       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
> >       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
> >       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of
> > net-mgmt/net-snmp without deleting it first, set the variable
> > "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER" in your environment or the "make install"
> > command line. *** Error code 1
> >
> > I'm confused. Of course an older version is installed, that's why
> > it's called an upgrade.
>
> The new doesn't overwrite the old.
>
> Portupgrade removes the the old version before installing the new, and
> if the new version fails to install, it restores the old version from a
> backup package.
>
> Possibly you have two net-snmp packages installed.  Another cause of
> this is an incorrectly specified dependency, where net-snmp doesn't
> actually provide the file that's used to determine whether net-snmp
> needs to be built. Or there may have been a problem with the pkg_delete
> of the old version.

at this point, i would just enter net-mgmt/net-snmp, and go ahead and do a 'make deinstall', then  'make reinstall' (or actually, i always 'make install clean', every time, no matter what).  realistically, net-snmp is probably already built right now, and would probably just have to do the final install and register after the make deinstall.

hehe believe me... you could be having much worse problems right now with cacti!

=> SHA256 Checksum OK for tree_console_missing_hosts.patch.
=> MD5 Checksum mismatch for thumbnail_graphs_not_working.patch.
=> SHA256 Checksum mismatch for thumbnail_graphs_not_working.patch.
===>  Refetch for 1 more times files: thumbnail_graphs_not_working.patch thumbnail_graphs_not_working.patch
===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
=> thumbnail_graphs_not_working.patch doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> Attempting to fetch from http://www.cacti.net/downloads/patches/0.8.6j/.
fetch: http://www.cacti.net/downloads/patches/0.8.6j/thumbnail_graphs_not_working.patch: Requested Range Not Satisfiable
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
fetch: thumbnail_graphs_not_working.patch: local modification time does not match remote
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/cacti.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/cacti.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade.41821.27 env UPGRADE_TOOL=portupgrade UPGRADE_PORT=cacti-0.8.6j.3 UPGRADE_PORT_VER=0.8.6j.3 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
        ! net/cacti (cacti-0.8.6j.3)    (checksum mismatch)
--->  Packages processed: 3 done, 114 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed

(thats the cacti port upgrade im dealing with right now!)

cheers,
jonathan