Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:53:01 +0200
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        Anthony Hoelzle <pentium@cio.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nmbd and samba

At 00.51 23/04/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I've run the tests specified at
>http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html, and when I get to #8 I
>start having problems, the instructions say to "- fixup the nmbd
>installation" I'm just not sure how to do that, any help would be great.

  "nmbd" is the netbios nameserver support daemon of Samba. Samba works
even if you don't use it, but you can't see the server by name from
clients. Are you running nmbd on your server? Check with a "ps -ax". The
options on the command line should be similar to those of smbd; "man nmbd"
for details. If you still have problems, check your Samba configuration
file, or tell us exactly what error(s) you get.

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it