Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:25:07 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "filesystem is full" during installation of 4.6.2-REL

Andrew Boothman wrote:

> [I was going to post this to -questions but figured that most discussion
> of the ata problems took place on -stable and most interested people
> would probably be reading -stable]
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've got a strange problem installing 4.6.2-RELEASE on an ageing K6-233
> system. Searching the archives and googling hasn't turned up anything
> useful.
>
> On first boot of the 4.6.2 floppies I started getting the "READ_BIG"
> errors on the systems cd-rom drive. Fortunately, I had no plan to use
> the drive, so I simply disconnected it, and a subsequent boot went
> flawlessly.
>
> However, during an FTP install from ftp.uk.freebsd.org when it reaches
> 'chunk 4' the system displays a message saying "Write failure on
> transfer (wrote -1 bytes of 240260 bytes)" and "/: write failed,
> filesystem is full"
>
> VTY1 shows :
> .
> .
> bin/ls
> bin/mkdev
> bin/mv
> pid 72 (cpio), uid 0 on /: filesystem is full
> /stand/cpio: write error: No space left on drive
> /stand/gunzip: failed fwrite
>
> A quick /stand/df on VTY4 shows 101% capacity on /dev/md0c mounted on /
> but just 1% capacity on /dev/ad0s1a mounted on /mnt. I've never delved
> this far into a sysinstall installation before, but it sounds like it is
> failing on unpacking files into a memory disk? What could have caused
> this problem?
>
> A reboot and going through the installation process again brought
> exactly the same failure in exactly the same place.

Was the disk correctly labeled by the first attempt?

> Many thanks for any pointers and help.
>
> Andrew.

I have seen a number of TX/BX period M/B's which lock up
during install. Apparently one or more writes to disk
fail. Depending on where it fails I've had;

MBR trashed, wouldn't boot DOS anymore.
Out of memory, since swap wasn't created.
Write failure, looks like disk full.

This might not be your problem, but it's simple to test, so
here goes.

Boot the floppies. When the kernel loads press the space bar.
type (from memory so caveat emptor)

set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
boot

If this fixes the problem you have an early/broken/unsupported
UDMA controller, bad luck. You'll need to do the same trick
during the post-install reboot, and then disable dma by
putting

hw.ata.ata_dma=0

in /boot/loader.conf.local

HTH