Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 15:36:05 -0400
From:      Anne Brink <anneb@svl.tec.army.mil>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        black@mr.net (Ben Black), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LFS anyone?

> According to Ben Black:
> > Is anyone using LFS and if so how well does it work and how do I newfs a
> > partition to support it?

LFS isn't currently working on FreeBSD, since the vm/buffer cache merge.
I looked into playing with the source code, but decided I haven't done enough
kernel hacking yet to be able to handle doing a decent job.  The FS code is
NOT easy going.  I read Dr. Margo Seltzer's papers on implementing LFS in BSD,
and what she discussed as needed and decided it was out of my league at this
point.  It would be way cool to have, though, and should work much more cleanly
in FreeBSD than in straight 4.4, if I understand her main points correctly.

I'm told None of the funky 4.4 file systems work, since they need to be patched
to handle it. Others more knowledgable than I may care to comment.  As for LFS,
You can newlfs a partition and mount it, but as soon as I would write to it or
run the cleaner, I panicked my OS. Not what one generally wants out of a file
system. /-:

> 	I'll second this question and follow up by asking if
> 	anyone can post some information about the FFS and the
> 	Log Filesystem.  ((Does the LFS exist in the BSD world?))
>
> 	Seems like the LFS would make fsck's obsolete.  Yes? No?

Yes, LFS does some rollbacks after a crash, BUT, the file system is not
checked. It's just assumed to be fine. Fsck actually does verify that you
have not lost something in a crash.  Since most systems won't fsck file
systems that were brought down cleanly, you only see fsck when you either
come up after a crash or are doing something silly playing with clri, I think
it's a good thing (TM) to have around. (-;  LFS I believe assumes that
the FS is ok, and then runs the cleaner in the background after you get up.
That's one of the things that Margo Seltzer had to deal with when porting
LFS to BSD- BSD users demanded a bit more stability in the FS than Sprite
was able to offer.

IMO, LFS looks very, very good for a spool partition, where you can stuff
things
like syslogs and mail logs and things like that.  If you have lots of random
file accesses, especially over NFS which caches things in blocks, not whole
files, you may lose a /lot/ of the LFS functionality, and possibly get worse
performance than with FFS.  The LFS model isn't consistent with the concept
of cylinder groups, but uses the theory of locality which helps its efficiency.
As for a regular user file system? Well, I'd want to run some benchmarks. (-;

Someone asked for some references:

Both Dr. Margo Seltzer at Harvard and Dr. John Ousterhout at UC Berkeley have
some web pages and papers about LFS.  There are some very interesting strong
points and weaknesses to LFS.

Ousterhout designed LFS to be the file system for Sprite.
Seltzer has done serious work on porting LFS to 4.4BSD (some mods have to
be done to get it to work in unix) and also done some benchmarking of LFS.

Dr. Seltzer has written some interesting (and readable) papers about
implementing
LFS in UNIX, which can be gotten from her web page at Harvard. Likewise,
Ousterhout's original LFS paper, which is at UC Berkeley, is a very good read.
Check out:
http://www.das.harvard.edu/users/faculty/Margo_Seltzer/usenix.195/
to get started, it points to Ousterhout's stuff as well. The two don't entirely
agree on everything LFS, so there's some interesting and enlightening back and
forth commentary.  Her '95 Usenix paper is very readable.

Here's a couple more fun papers:
Seltzer, Bostic, McKusick & Staelin: An implementation of a Log File System
for Unix. 1993 Winter Usenix proceedings. (on Seltzer's web page, also)

J. Ousterhout & F. Douglis: beating the I/O Bottleneck: The case for Log-
Structured File Systems (Operating Systems Review Jan 1989)

Optimal Write batch Size in Log-Structured File Systems (Carson & Setia,
Computing Systems, Spring 1994)

(I have a couple other refs at home, but they're the basic Sprite papers of
Ousterhout's, and should be on his web page, which is pointed to by Seltzer's.)

> 	Clues?
>
> 	gary kline

					-Anne Brink

--
"Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore
 Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens