Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 20:56:18 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com
Cc:        tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update: HELP!

> > NOQUEUE: SYSERR (root): getrequests: cannot bind: Permission denied
> > problem creating SMTP socket
>
> 	Sounds to me like smap or sendmail needs to be SUID root (to bind to
> 	the low numbered smtp port (25)).  If this happens even when you
> 	are root, it might be that sendmail is owned by the wrong user/group.
>
> > Some more errors to report are....when trying to do 'w' from any account
> > other than root I get: /dev/mem: Permission denied.  Ok.  So, I changed
> > the permission on that file and then it says /dev/kmem: Permission denied.
>
> 	Sound like more ownership/permission problems -- does FreeBSD
> 	need to be SGID kmem (or something like that).
>
> > Any ideas on that?  Probably of lesser important.  But, then I ask myself,
> > what are the permissions on most files in that directory???  I dunno if
> > they are right.

The permissions on these two files should be:-

-r-xr-sr-x  2 bin  kmem  16384 Nov 16 09:55 /usr/bin/w
-r-sr-sr-x  3 root  kmem  180224 Nov 16 09:59 /usr/sbin/sendmail

Most of the files in /usr/sbin are -r-xr-xr-x, but quite a number of
them are setuid and/or setgid, as they need to access certain files
that are not available to just anyone.

However, don't go around making things setuid or setgid unless you
know what you're doing, as this can cause potential security problems.

If you have the CDs for 2.0.5 or 2.1.0, they come with an extra CD
that has a copy of a complete working system on it, which is useful
for situations like this.