Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2006 02:06:35 -0600
From:      "Mike Loiterman" <mike@ascendency.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports upgrade policy

This is my supfile:

*default  host=cvsup1.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_6_0
*default  delete use-rel-suffix

src-all

*default tag=.
ports-all
doc-all

I have been using it like this for years, obviously changing to the latest
release tag.  I haven't had problem and I'm not having problems, but my
question is this:

Is it advisable to sync my source to RELEASE, but to CURRENT for ports?
Typically, I upgade my ports a few days after they get updated so I'm always
running the latest version, but would it be better to sync both ports and
source to RELEASE?

Obviously, it depends, somewhat, on personal choice, but in terms of
stablity and "correctness" which is better?

Mike Loiterman
grantADLER
Tel: 630-302-4944
Fax: 773-442-0992